Monday, February 9, 2009

Making lemonade out of lemons

Hey everyone,
Well things have been great this week. It’s not the situation you are in but what you do with it that makes life good or not. So I am doing great then.
Me and my companion are getting along great and we work so well together. I love to come home exhausted and feel like sleeping at 8. ha ha. The people we have are some good and some need work. One recent convert I met had no idea what the book of mormon was and didn’t know who Joseph Smith is. I only had to teach her 5 times in a row until she got it. I have come to realize that I can only change the future and not the past. So we have people that need a lot of help. Its my job to help them and I love to do it. My favorite thing is to teach the primary class. Sunday we worked on the song book of mormon stories in one branch. it was great and they love to learn from the pumwee. aka white man in the local dialect. ha ha
One story I would like to share comes from mark 12:41-44. we were visiting one old member named granny. She doesn’t even know her own name. It’s granny now. Well we went to share a message with her. I took her book of mormon and was just flipping through. I have seen some interesting things inside. But I couldn’t help but notice her tithing slip for 2000 leones. aka 66 cents. she then sent her grandson to fetch me and my companion each her favorite drink. sprite. which costs 3000 leones for both. She gave her all for us just to have a warm sprite. It was the best thing I have ever tasted. I was truly touched by her effort to do so much for us. She didn’t need to buy us anything, but the people are so willing to help us and to feed us.
One story on the other side of the board.
We had a branch president and missionary meeting. I don’t know where the idea came from, but the missionaries give a report of the good and bad of each branch. Everything was fine and the other elders got up and gave their reports. All the improvements were taken into consideration and all was well. Then I had my chance. I was the last to go. My first 2 suggestions were great and went well, then I dropped the bomb. I said we are working on zion here and we need to have unity in language, this church is not for the krios or mendes or timnes only. It was as if I had stuck a cattle prong into a hornets nest. The district president let me have it about how I would learn the krio and mende and that it was fine to say it in church. I just sat there laughing in my head. I am not the first nor will I be the last to try and fix this huge problem. The leaders don’t accept that it needs to change and I don’t know how long it will take to get done, but I am working on it and smiling cause some day it will change.
All is well and I am doing so well. Thank you all for the support and I love to get letters.
love
Elder Lamb

No comments: