Monday, February 2, 2009

Happy 20th Birthday!!

Hey everyone,
Well first off I am now 20 years old. 2nd I love my companion to death and he is almost as good as elder Mogotsi. We get along great and we both love to work hard. This is needed.
Now I need to explain why it is needed. This story probably isn’t something you would ever hear from a missionary and I don’t think I will give all the dirty details.
To start you need to understand that I am a 6 hour drive away from any leadership, like my mission president or the couples. There is no check ups for a long time. Because of this there were some bad elders here. As in 7 that got sent home for doing bad things. 4 had been in either of the 2 areas I cover now. Because 7 elders got sent home they had to combine certain places because we are short on elders now. The reasons why they were sent home are disgusting and will make you sick. - They broke the law of chastity and had children not gifts to bring home from the mission field.
So me and my companion are both here now. We are both very obedient and we know how the church needs to be. The leaders of both branches and the district were in support of the previous elders and think that a mission is all about enjoying - which it is to too many elders here. So they all pretty much hate us. They are all very far from where the church needs to be and they need a lot of work to bring them back. We are going to start with serving the leaders in an attempt to gain at least a little trust. So far it is starting to work. Things are changing and the same mistake will never be made here again.
The list is endless of things that need to change at the church. Lets say the relief society just decided to skip class on Sunday and leave.
Yup NO relief society this week. I finally had to put my foot down and let the branch president have it. He took it well and I gave it to him soft for now. We will see what he does. I haven’t even started in the other branch, which is worse.
But I love the work here. We get a fresh start on the areas. Mostly because the investigators were "in" with the previous elders. They were mostly girls and they are all former investigators now. So we are finding new people to teach and working our hardest. We don’t have many lessons a day but we always come home exhausted. I love it though. We work so hard we don’t even want to write in our journals but we force ourselves to.
The work is sweet and things are looking up though. The lord has a great need for me here and I will never let him down. I will be "always faithful" as one of my great leaders here once taught me.
Things are getting better and I have great faith that they will only get better here.
Love
Elder Spencer Lamb

PS –
hey I have a few scriptures I want everyone to study.
Jacob 2. -- For you who are married or planning to be.
Jacob 4:3 -- do we really learn with joy?
1 Nephi 13:12-18 -- who is he talking about? and where?
thanks and love
elder lamb

No comments: